Saturday, May 14, 2011

My statement from my mast 7 years ago... Ah... memories

This is my statement in regards to the charges of Hazing brought up on me on <date redacted>.  On <the previous day, also redacted>, the COB caught MM3 <name redacted>, MM2 <name redacted>, and me wrestling around in PLO bay.  [MM2] and I were attempting to tape up [MM3], merely because he said we couldn’t do it.  During this time, I am 100% sure that our horseplay was that and nothing more.  [MM3] and I are good friends, both on and off the boat, and I would never, under any circumstances do anything to jeopardize our friendship.  Wrestling is unprofessional, and discouraged, but hazing is simply intolerable.  Our horseplay just happens to fall under the definition of “Hazing.”  We were knowingly and jokingly playing around, our intent was not to demoralize, or degrade anyone.  If at anytime there was doubt of crossing the line between simple tomfoolery and purposeful degradation, both [MM2] and I would have immediately stopped.  Hazing has intent to do psychological or physical harm, horseplay passes time.  Hazing excludes people from a group.  I am part of no group, no “in crowd,” and the accusation of meaningful degradation of a friend is insulting.  I agree that horseplay is unprofessional and dangerous, and the benefits short-sighted, but not nearly as serious as hazing.  Immediately after being orally reprimanded by both the COB, and EDMC, we were removed from watchstanding.  [MM2] and I were assigned to the same rack, he would be cleaning from 0600-1800, and I would clean from 1800-0600.  [MM3] would clean with me, and <name redacted> (who witnessed the “hazing”) would clean with [MM2].  There are 2 other people assigned to cleanup.  They have fewer hours than the other 4 people involved in the hazing incident.  I completely believe this is an unauthorized form of EMI and am filing a formal complaint against the command.  In that complaint, I would also like the command to be investigated for hazing from Senior Personnel, such as the EDMC (MMCM <name redacted>).  On many occasions MMCM has been down to AMR and “rung the bell” and when the AMR watch shows up to challenge the EDMC, he receives a punch to the stomach or kidneys.  I have personally witnessed this on many occasions.  “Ringing the bell” is an old tradition where newly reported personnel would get roughed up a bit after all A-Div personnel heard the bell ring.  MMCM is also known for giving kidney punches in [the] chow line, or if you are just taking logs.  I consider this “Hazing” and have in the past asked him to stop.  MMCM also throws anything not immediately being used (i.e. Kimwipes, books, folders, etc.) lying around onto the deck, because he assumes they are not in use, and are not stowed.  I have also asked him to stop doing this, because of the mere fact that it is degrading, his reply: “Shut up and stow your watchstation, bitch.”  Hazing.  The command in general only follows rules when it suits them.  The COB insisted that painting be done underway, although it is stated in the SORM, “Interior painting shall not be permitted under any circumstances while the ship is submerged.”  The COB has also tried to throw away EM3 <name redacted>’s Seabag, merely because the COB changed the berthing bill while [EM3] was on watch, doing a reactor startup, if it wasn’t for REAL shipmates digging his stuff out of a dumpster, [EM3] would have had nothing for the underway.  The command policy for being late for duty is also what I consider a form of hazing and is unauthorized EMI.  The unwritten, but followed, policy is that if you are late for duty, you have to stand the rest of your duty day, plus the next day.  No paperwork, no CO’s permission.  On that note, working past 2000 on duty days.  I can’t count the number of times I was told to work past 2000 by MMCM, or other EDPO’s, without the consent of the CO.  This is the example set by the Senior Personnel on board the USS <name of ship redacted>.  Also from hearsay, it is a ship-wide problem.  I have heard of the DOOW hitting the planesman in the back of the head for not maintaining depth.  I am friends with the majority of the crew on this ship, and the general consensus is this is absurd, and should be treated as nothing more than horseplay.  I believe the entire chain of command is at fault for the attitude of the ship.  The crew is burned out, and I have heard the phrase spoken on board “Blue shirts are like fuses, use them till they blow, and then get new ones.”  The material condition of the ship is a direct reflection of the chain of command on board.  The Fairwater planes have been operating in Emergency Mode for most of the TRE underway.  The drain pump began to smoke after packing adjustment, and after a drain pump repack, it leaks more [than] before.  I have been onboard when MS-1 and MS-2 would not shut from maneuvering due to the condition of ships service hydraulics.  I have seen more [than] A DOZEN quick fixes on the 10K while no more [than] a few hours from homeport.  I have heard from people in A-Div that TD-7/8 has taken more [than] 45 minutes to shut, while leaking oil at 1-2 gallons a minute, while TD-8 grinds when it shuts.  The trim pump was cleaned weekly underway for ORSE/TRE because it was near flashover.  We have went underway and found out that air banks have been isolated, which removes the ability to emergency blow.  My personal opinion is that this boat is in much worse condition than we like to believe, and maybe safety isn’t really our number one concern.

I have been on this boat for 3 years.  I can count the people who have been here longer [than] me easily.  I have seen Chiefs tack on dolphins, I have seen Chiefs ring the AMR bell, I have seen Chiefs curse “fucking NUBs” into the ground.  I have seen COB’s turn a blind eye.  I have seen this COB turn a blind eye, and I’m calling a double standard.  During GMT the CO said he wanted “...a safe, professional, military environment...” but where’s the safety when I was up for over 30 hours fixing the evaporator, or when things like flood control and EMBT blow get removed?  This is being made much more serious than any of those incidents.


MM2 (SS/DV) <name redacted>

2 comments:

  1. Again, nice work Chuck! Thanks again for being so pissed off that day. That was bullsh*t...

    ReplyDelete